Thursday, July 28, 2011

Stampington and Co.

Woo Hoo !!!   Thank you, Stampington and Co.!   My art is in the latest issue of GreenCraft magazine along with an article that I wrote!  This is truly a dream come true for me!

In May, I received an email from Amanda Crabtree, Senior Managing Editor of GreenCraft, that several pieces of my art would be published in the Autumn 2011 issue of GreenCraft.  She also asked if I could write the article about my pieces with the background, material list and step-by-step instructions.  My answer was "Yes! I'd love to try..."

I had loved creating the bird tins and dress banner. When I first read about the call for art created from the Stampington calendars, I wasn't sure I wanted to cut up my beloved calendars.  Then I saw all the birds and bird nests in the calendars and my idea was born - I love birds and I'd make tins covered with birds, feathers and bird nests.  I could display these tins in my art studio and fill them with paint brushes, colored pencils and ink pens.



Next I noticed all the little paper dresses in the calendars and began to cut them out.  I used mini clothespins from my collection to hang the dresses from a twine clothesline and added one cute little lady too. I added some unique legs from the calendars to some of the dresses and my dress banner was finished!



The two photos above are the ones I took before I sent my altered calendar creations to GreenCraft.

In May I wrote the article with my story, the materials list, the instructions and my bio, and sent it via email to Amanda.  My article was accepted!   I was thrilled when the GreenCraft magazine arrived this week!  The photos that the staff at GreenCraft took of my creations are beautiful and and the layout is perfect!  Thank you, Amanda, all the staff and the photographers!  I'm so honored to be included in this magazine filled with unique, altered and repurposed creations made by talented artists.

You can find this latest issue of GreenCraft, Autumn 2011 at your local bookstore, craft store or news stand.  You'll read about how I learned to "make do" from my mom and about how I learned to recycle too.
Be sure to check out all the wonderful creations in this issue, like the darling pincushions on the cover made by Amber Demien.

And on pages 116-119 you'll find my feature article about my repurposed calendar art!




Thanks for stopping by MidwestieLady!  I'd love it if you'd leave a comment and say hello!

Linda Harbin

Visit me at my Etsy shop:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/MidwestieLady
and my ArtFire shop:  http://www.artfire.com/users/MidwestieLady
and my ArtFire shop featuring animals:  http://www.artfire.com/users/ISeeAnimals

7 comments:

  1. Yay! Congrats!!! Love the pieces & looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, I can't wait to get this issue! Congratulatons, it looks like a wonderful article. I'm thrilled for you.....this is one of my favorite mags out of the Stampington publications. You are on your way, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the stuff you made. Congrats!

    PD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, Linda! I'll look forward to picking up a copy of that issue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everyone, for celebrating with me!
    Waving at Lisa - I follow you on FB!
    Hi, PD, good to see you again - trust all is going well for you.
    Thanks to my team members - my cheerleaders!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda - Kudos for you!!! How very exciting to have one of your articles published!! Of course the fact that it is a "Green" themed art mag is even nicer! Great Job Linda - I will be sure to pick up a copy!

    ReplyDelete