Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Secret of the Witches!

Yes, it's almost time for decorating and celebrating that spooky Halloween holiday. I've gathered my Halloween art and will be listing it in both Etsy and ArtFire under MidwestieLady.

I love witches! This mixed media art shares the witches secret. The words read:

The week before Halloween, they gather to launder their slips."

And the witches secret? Underneath all those black dark dresses and clothes, they wear bright colors and patterns in their slips!





I was inspired to create this piece after I brought home several sample books of drapery fabrics. Suddenly I could see all the bright fabrics as slips under the witches' dark drab dresses! I painted the two witches and their big pot of sudsy water, the background trees and the two little cats. I then created the trees, clotheslines and the slips - hanging them from the trees with little clothespins.

I hope you enjoy my Halloween art!

MidwestieLady

14 comments:

  1. I love your secret of the witches. Who knew? They're fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is terrific, humorous and bewitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you make the slips yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! Really made me smile too, just thinking of all those lovely colours under the witches' dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great piece, Linda! And funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Indira, I made the slips. I bought several drapery sample books at a local thrift shop, and used the different drapery fabrics to make all the little slips. The trees are made from a black cylinder with black chenille stems for branches. I added the strings for clothes lines and little wooden spring clothespins to hang the slips. Now every time I see a witch, I wonder about the color and pattern of her slip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun Linda! Very imaginative!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this Linda, I remember this!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terrific Linda...thanks for participating in the challenge...you are our featured artist :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha! Love it! Probably true too

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Linda,
    I am from New Orleans and just met Pat and Stacey and joined the Melange group--I'm so excited! I love this piece and amazingly, I have been involved in the Dress Up 2010 challenge this year and showed all my mixed media dresses on a clothesline with miniature clothespins too! How fun, isn't it? Love your piece and your shop!
    XO
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Stacey and Cindy, for your comments! Yes, I'm a fan of mini clothespins and clotheslines! Thanks for visiting my shop, Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Linda, I love your imagination! This is awesome. Who knew the witches were just fashionistas?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just became your 23rd follower! So sad to read about JD - he was a beautiful cat. We lost our little cat, Jassie, the year before and our dear dog 3 months ago today... Just hug your little Westie close to you and enjoy each moment! Sansom is such a cute name! Please come and join me at my history blog - I'd love to have you!
    Ann
    PS I posted a picture of Harrydog on my blog - It's under "personal"

    ReplyDelete